Saturday, June 14, 2008

CS: A Nuit Blanche Effect ?, More videos, Measurements vs. Bits and more. A Compressed Sensing Video Page.


Since I don't look at the precise statistics of a given entry, I just had some type of indirect confirmation that there is what I would call a "Nuit Blanche Effect" after the well known Slashdot effect but quantitatively quite different. The previous entry that featured the Youtube video on the Rice illumination based single pixel camera has a counter that anybody can see when on Youtube. In a matter of 24 hours, 59 people watched that video (starting at 52). The image above shows that about 41 people came from the blog or RSS feeds. There is a difference between 41 and 59 but it might be related to the fact that Youtube is constraining its statistics to only the first five top referers. Irrespective, if this is the same amplitude as that seen by authors about their papers when it is featured here, I can see why this is unique. I don't really know the statistics on the average readers of academic papers, it is mostly anecdotal, but my own experience is that it is very low. It is also my experience that even highly cited papers are sometimes not read.

For the week-end, here are a few more videos I found on Youtube. Please let me know if you know of others, I'll add them to the list.

On October 18, 2006, Dror Baron gave a lecture at the Stanford University Computer Systems Colloquium. The presentation had the title of the paper: Measurements vs. Bits: Compressed Sensing meets Information Theory. The powerpoint presentation is here.



Also found on the internets, a presentation by Richard Baraniuk in Jackson Hole.

#1


#2


#3



#4



#5


I have made a page with all the videos I know about that focus on Compressive Sensing. The address is: http://igorcarron.googlepages.com/csvideos.

No comments:

Printfriendly