Sunday, April 18, 2010

CS: Let's make lemonade out of lemons, shall we ?


(London Advisory as 18:36 GMT on 18 April 2010)
If you have read the past entry, you now know that it is probably unlikely that anything will fly out or land in Europe (except probably Madrid) tomorrow. I am getting infos from people in Belgium that their flights will not get out before Wednesday. I am getting infos from people in the U.S. that there doesn't seem to be any flights to Paris until Saturday. If you look at the map and the fact that this volcano is not really stopping, I'd be very surprised if anybody can really be smart enough to tell you anything about what is going to happen in the next two weeks. Airlines are not in the business of guessing the weather. In my case, I predicted a week in advance that the prediction for Ike would be wrong, instead of hitting Brownsville, it hit Houston. I was right except it hit Houston a day before I expected it.

Here is what I am thinking, instead of being stuck in some hotel room despairing about your condition what about taking this as an opportunity for traveling on the continent you are stuck in and present your work on compressed sensing and related issues to other colleagues ?
If you are in Europe or in the U.S. and willing and able to travel, let me know and let us see we can make this unexpected wait into something a little more fruitful.

I agree with Jeff Jarvis, it's a black swan. Please note the cloud will be hitting Canada in two days.

No comments:

Printfriendly